The debate over wearing masks has returned to the Illinois House of Representatives.
The House voted to remove nine Republican lawmakers after they refused to wear masks on Thursday afternoon.
The Republicans in question refused to wear masks in violation of House rules. They cited various reasons, including wanting to take a stand in support of teachers and students not wearing masks.
“What about the kids being segregated in schools?” said Rep. Adam Niemerg, R-Dieterich, to loud boos from the Democratic side of the House.
The House voted to remove:
* Rep. Joe Sosnowski, R-Rockford
* Rep. Tony McCombie, R-Savanna
* Rep. Blaine Wilhour, R-Beecher City
* Rep. Brad Halbrook, R-Shelbyville
* Rep. Adam Niemerg, R-Dieterich
* Rep. David Welter, R-Morris
* Rep. David Friess, R-Red Bud
* Rep. Chris Miller, R-Oakland
* Rep. Andrew Chesney , R-Freeport
Rep. Steven Reick, R-Woodstock, was originally on the list of lawmakers to be removed, but was allowed to stay when he decided to wear a mask.